Sunday, May 27, 2007

8 1/2

I have never tried to hide it (just the opposite) but I am a huge admirer of the art of Federico Fellini. Frankly I consider him to be the greatest film director that ever lived. I have watched more than 15 of his movies (several times) and the more I watch them, the more enchanted I become with them.One of my favourite movies is 8 1/2 (Otto e mezzo) and although it is considered deeply intellectual it impresses mostly with its powerful imagery and vision. There are 2 moments that I really love in this movie and I have watched them over and over again.The first is when the main character Guido (starring Marcello Mastroianni) is a little boy and he goes with his friends from school to see a gypsy prostiture called Saraghina dancing the Rumba on the seashore. The dance of Saraghina is truly amazing - she is an unattractive but a lustful and demonic woman but what you see on her face is the pure passion to dance, to feel free and to be admired. She manages to capture the imgination of the boys and later a priest tells Guido: "Don't you know that Saraghina is the devil"

The other scene is when Guido starts imagining that he lives in a big house with all the women he met in his life - his wife, his mistress, his sister-in-law, his aunt, a stewardess he met on a flight to Coppenhagen and many more. He is the master of the house and all women love him and obey him. This is a story about an insecure intellectual who puts himself in the centre of the world but the imagery of the movies is brilliant. My favourite scene is when his women give him as a present a sexy black girl who starts dancing the Rumba for him (the same dance as Saraghina). Truly this is one of the most famous scenes in film history. It is not about men dominating over women - this is about the admiration and adorating that Fellini has for all women -the wat they enchant him and inspire him.... I recommend this movie to anyone who believes that cinema is not just a 2 hour kill-time entertainment but real art. In the future I plan to continue writing in brief about Fallini - I just hope that someone will take interest.

2 comments:

chocolato said...

Nice post. Although I would call it a bit risky to consider anyone "the greatest" in any area unless, of course, you have a very extensive and profound knowledge of the area :)

Blizzrod said...

Federico Fellini (January 20, 1920 – October 31, 1993) was one of the most influential and widely revered Italian film-makers of the 20th century and is considered to be one of the finest film directors of all time.[citation needed]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fellini
OK, OK - one of the greatest???