Thursday, May 24, 2007

Just milk?

Here in Italy I have discovered something truly interesting. This week when I was shopping in the supermarket, I was about to buy some milk and I looked at its expiration date by chance. The label said that the milk would go bad in 3 days. The first thing I though was "I have to drink it all just for 3 days". Then I started looking for other kinds of milk and I found another package which was supposed to be milk with extended expiration date which was....6 days. And then the bell rang in my head- I recalled that back in Bulgaria I had been buying milk with more than 3 or 4 MONTHS expiration period. If you are a real Bulgarian patriot you might think: "This is because our milk is stronger than lame Western milk". I wish I were all that optimistic... It horrified me what exactly Bulgarian milk producers put in the milk to make it last for so long. I mean... you don't really expect that organic food would survive in the fridge for more then 10 days. And then all other bells started ringing in my head (really noisy, I tell you) - I remember when Bulgaria joined the EU, there were those huge protests and complaints that the EU does not allow Bulgarian farmers to export milk to the internal market. Bulgarian producers were shown as victims of the greedy, cruel, imperialistic EU. How about Bulgarian consumers ....

This whole experience disgusted me to the point that everytime I buy something I read the label in details. Luckily, in the EU there is a law that forces producers to provide information about their products... Luckily!!!

No comments: