Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Macchiaioli













One of the most important galleries and exhibition spaces in Torino is Palazzo Bricherazio where I went to see an exhibition of the Macchiaioli. The Macchiaioli are the Italian impressionists (not as famous as their French colleauges). If you truly want to educate yourself about them, feel free to do it here. I myself have never been fond of Impressionistic style - I find it too light and too sentimental (for some reason I am fond of dark, intellectual art - but hey, that's me :P ) but I have to admit some of those painting catch an eye.
I was quite surpised to find out that the Macchiaioli precede the French Impressionists (probably it's the overwhelming French desire to be the first in everything) and that their art stretches from natural landscapes and rural scenes (I hope you are fond of cows) to urban places and exploration of social issues.
When I left the exhibitions I realized how much history of art likes to repeart itself - an artist starts his life full of ideals and visions in opposition of the existing academic standards and ends up disappointed and disillusioned of life and people. In a a way we are all so lucky because if so many artists hadn't fucked up their lives(some quite successfully - thank you Vincent!) we wouldn't be able to admire so many great masterprieces.

1 comment:

chocolato said...

Hm, these guys seem nice. I especially like the picture of the girl :)